Timeline

1823   First known settlement into Pleasant Hill Area by Frederick and Abraham Boyer

1837    The first school house built, Inclose School. Prior to this, school was held in log cabins where they could serve the pupils

1850    Terre Haute and Alton Railroad (Penn Central) built

1850    Harmony United Methodist Society formed

1853    Lovel Wilhoit laid out the orginal plat of our town, first called Midway

1855    First Post Office Established  (William F. Boyer, postmaster)

1858    When Midway applied for a post office, it was found that a Midway, Illinois already exsited in Fulton County so the name was changed to Kansas, named for the township organized the earlier year

1858    Kansas Lodge No. 289 AF & AM Instituted

1858    Kansas Presbyterians organized

1868    The first newspaper was the Kansas Citizen — it lasted four years and was soon followed by the Kansas News (1873) and the Republican Sun (1878) — by 1889, the names of these two papers had been changed to the Kansas Herald and the Kansas Journal

1869    Danville and Ohio River (later the C.H.&D. — “DOTY” for short) railroad was built

1872    Eight Kansas men applied for permission to establish the first bank, First National Bank of Kansas

1875    The park was laid out and trees planted. It was fenced at one time with a plank fence with gates at each corner

1878    The Republican Sun Newspaper begins publication

1888    Staff Brothers build large canning factory

1889    Kansas narrowly misses out on being selected as home of what is now Eastern Illinois University (Charleston)

1890    Village Board approves construction of Village Hall at cost not to exceed $1,500

1892    Harmony United Methodist Church constructs new building south of Warrington Curve, north of Kansas, for $6,000

1894    The Eton Academy was established by Edward Willasey and his wife, who were natives of England — it operated until 1904

1895    Entre Nous club organized

1907    Kansas United Methodist Church building dedicated

1908    The Farmers National Bank was organized by a group of businessmen

1909    Kansas Christian Church building dedicated

1909    Kansas Presbyterian Church building dedicated

1914    First water tower was constructed and a system of water mains were laid

1920    New building constructed to hold Inclose School

1926    First National Bank of Kansas and The Farmers National Bank consolidated forming Kansas National Bank

1930    Preston & Cleve Shade purchase building for Shade & Son Garage

1932    The Kansas Library was started by the forming of a committee, consisting of one member from each of five organizations in town — memberships were sold for a $1

1933    Coral Hall Post #539 American Legion organized

1936    Kansas Community High School built

1938    Kansas Township Fire Protection District formed

1938    The Kansas and Sidell Railroad Company removes the rail line running between Kansas and Brocton (“DOTY” line)

1938    Inclose School building burned

1940    Kansas Fire Department established

1943    Kansas State Bank opened for business

1944    Kansas Lions Club organized

1953    Kansas celebrates 100 year centennial

1960    New Kansas Post Office building opened

1960    Concrete park stage constructed

1961    Village Board approves building of Kansas Park Pavilion

1965    Kansas Business & Professional Women (BPW) Club Organized

1969    New gymnasium and classrooms for 4th – 8th grades added to High School

1972    Kansas Community Memorial Library joins Lincoln Trail Library System

1975    New Kansas Township garage constructed

1975    Mini-park & parking lot across from Kansas Post Office constructed

1976    Kansas Building & Loan becomes part of First Financial Savings & Loan

1976    New firehouse constructed at west end of Washington Street

1977    Starky’s Midway Market completely destroyed by fire

1978    Kansas’s 125th Anniversary Celebrated with theme “Movin’ On”

1983    (August)  Kansas’s legacy as a railroad community ends as Conrail removes the east-west rail through town (old New York Central line)

1985    Harmony United Methodist Church closes its doors

1993    Kansas State Bank celebrates 50th year of service to Kansas community

1999    Kansas State Bank is sold to Edgar County Bank & Trust Company of Paris

2002    (August)  Harmony United Methodist Church building north of town is raized

2003    Kansas’s 150th Anniversary Celebrated

2004    Final year for athletic teams to be known as “Kansas Bulldogs” – sports consolidation with Oakland starting in 2004-05 yields “Tri-County Titans” mascot

Comments are closed