24-7-14: Golf Cart Ordinance
Download the Golf Cart Waiver & Permit Application
ORDINANCE NO. 24-7-14
AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS ON THE VILLAGE OF KANSAS STREETS
VILLAGE OF KANSAS, EDGAR, COUNTY, ILLINOIS
ADOPTED BY THE VILLAGE OF KANSAS BOARD OF TRUSTEES
DATED THIS 15TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2008
Motion to Approve by: Trustee, James Acord
Seconded by: Trustee, John Nichols
Motion carried: 10-15-08
Amended : July 06, 2011 to include UTV’S
Amended: July 16, 2014
AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS ON VILLAGE OF KANSAS STREETS
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE VILLAGE BOARD OF THE VILLAGE OF
KANSAS, ILLINOIS, AS FOLLOWS:
The purpose of this ordinance is to protect, maintain, and enhance health, safety and general welfare of citizens of the Village of Kansas. It has come to the attention of the Mayor and Village Board that the use of golf carts on city streets creates a potential traffic hazard for other vehicular traffic as well as danger to the occupants of golf carts. After consideration of the volume, speed and character of traffic on the village streets, the Village Board has determined that golf carts may safely travel on Village Streets.
Therefore, the intent of this Ordinance is to regulate the use of motorized carts within the corporate limits of the Village of Kansas as authorized by Illinois Statute 625 ILCS 5/11-1428, Operation of golf carts on streets, roads, and highways.
1. A golf cart shall not be capable of speeds exceeding 20 miles per hour. The definition of golf cart specifically excludes all terrain vehicles, ATV’s, or any vehicle that is not a golf cart.
2. “Village Streets” means any of the within the boundaries of the Village of Kansas except for State and County roads.
3. “State Roads” include Illinois Route 16 and Illinois Route 49.
4. “Country Roads” include County Highway which is known as 125E.
All persons wishing to operate a golf cart on the streets of the Village of Kansas must insure compliance with the following requirements.
1. Proof of liability insurance, must be with golf cart at all times.
2. Must display a Village decal.
3. Must be inspected by Village Police Chief or Designated representative.
4. Must have a valid Driver’s License.
5. Must be equipped with windshield, horn, brakes, turn signals, a steering wheel apparatus, tires, a rearview mirror, an approved slow moving vehicle emblem on the rear of the golf cart, a headlight that emits a white light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front, a tail lamp that emits a red light visible from at least 100 feet from the rear, brake lights, and turn signals. When operated on a roadway, a golf cart shall have its headlight and tail lamps lighted (625 ILCS 5/11-1428).
6. Must obey all traffic laws of State of Illinois and Village of Kansas.
7. Side street use only.
8. No modification of golf cart suspension.
9. Must not exceed 20 mile per hour.
10. May only operate on Village Streets with the exception of authorized crossings of State or County Roads.
11. Golf carts may only be operated on designated Village Streets from sunrise to midnight. They shall not be operated in inclement weather nor when visibility is impaired by weather, smoke, fog, or other conditions, or at anytime when there is insufficient light to clearly see persons and vehicles on the roadway at a distance of 500 feet.
12. A person who drives or is in actual physical control of golf cart on a roadway while under the influence is subject to Section 11-500 through 11-502 of the Illinois complied Statutes (625 ILCS 5/11 thru 11-502).
13. Golf carts shall not be operated on sidewalks or in Village parks other than parking areas.
14. Golf carts may no be operated on streets and highways and roads under the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Transportation (Illinois Route 16, Illinois Route 49) or the County Highway Department (County Highway 125E.)
15. Golf carts may not be operated on State or County roads except to cross at designated streets when authorized by the State of Illinois Department of Transportation or County Highway Department as applicable. The Village will insure that signs are erected to designate authorized crossing points.
1. No person shall operate a motorized golf cart without obtaining a permit from the Village Clerk as provided herein. Permits shall be granted for a period one (1) year and may be renewed annually. The cost of a permit is $50.00. Insurance coverage is to be verified by the Village Clerk when renewing the permit.
2. Every application for a permit shall be made on a form supplied by the Village and shall contain the following information:
i. The name and address of the applicant
ii. Name of liability insurance carrier.
iii. The serial number, make, model, and description of the golf cart.
iv. Such other information ad the Village may require.
3. No permit shall be granted unless the following conditions are met:
i. The golf cart must be inspected by the Village Chief of Police (or designee) to insure that the vehicle is safe to operate on Village Streets and is in compliance with the requirements of the ordinance.
ii. The Handicapped applicant must submit a certificate signed by a physician, that the handicapped applicant is able to safely operate a motorized golf cart on the roadways designated.
iii. The applicant must provide evidence of insurance in compliance with the provisions of Illinois Statutes regarding minimum liability insurance for passenger motor vehicles to be operated on the roads of the State of Illinois.
4. The Village Board may suspend or revoke a permit granted hereunder upon a finding that the holder thereof has violated any of the provisions of the Ordinance or if there is evidence that the permitee cannot safely operate the motorized golf cart on the designated roadways.
5. Any person who violates any provisions of the ordinances shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $20.00 and not more than $100.00.
6. Every person operating a golf cart pursuant to permit hereunder on designated Village streets has all the rights and duties applicable to a driver of any vehicle pursuant to the state highway traffic laws and regulations except when those provisions cannot reasonably be applied to motorized golf carts.
Amendment to Ordinance N0. 24-7-14
An Amendment Authorizing the Operation of Recreational off – highway vehicles on the Village of Kansas Streets, Village of Kansas, Edgar County, Illinois.
Whereas, the Village of Kansas, Illinois presently allows the use of golf carts on Village streets and that Illinois State Law has adopted the use of “ Utility Terrain Vehicle “
( UTV ) 625 ILCS 5/1-168.8 defined as : Any motorized off – highway device designed to travel primarily off – highway, 64 inches or less in width, having a manufactuer’s dry weight of 2,000 pounds or less, traveling on 4 or more non – highway tires, designed with a non – straddle seat and a steering wheel for steering control. (Source P.A. 96-428, & 5)
Utility Terrain Vehicles shall follow all requirements set forth in the existing Ordinance and to include: Golf Carts and Utility Terrain Vehicles are subject to Tow / Impound or
Both for owners allowing unlicensed / unauthorized operation of the vehicle.
Amended this 6th day of July, 2011