3-2-8.1 Hen Ordinance
Amendment to Ordinance 3-2-8 Pg 42
Animal Control Regulations
Village of Kansas Hen Ordinance
WHEREAS, the Village of Kansas, Edgar County, Illinois, is a home rule municipality as contemplated under Article VII, Section 6 of the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and the passage of this Ordinance constitutes an exercise of the Village’s home rule powers and functions as granted in the Constitution of the State of Illinois; and
WHEREAS, the Illinois Compiled Statutes, Chapter 65 authorize a municipality to regulate, permit and control within it’s municipality; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the President and Board of Trustees of the Village of Kansas, Edgar County, Illinois as follows:
3-2-8-1 Page 42
1. Each household may keep up to a maximum of 6 hens. No roosters are allowed.
2. The chickens shall be provided with a covered, predator proof chicken coop that is ventilated of sufficient size to admit free movement to the chickens, designed to be easily accessed to be cleaned and maintained by the owners and at least 2 square feet per chicken:
A. Opening to windows and doors must be covered with a wire mesh to deter predators.
B. Access to doors must be sized and placed for easy cleaning.
C. The enclosed run must be attached to the coop or surround the coop. The sides of the run must be made of fencing or wire mesh that discourages predators.
D. The run must be enclosed on all sides, including the top plane.
3. The chicken coop run shall be located at the rear of the residence but not on the sides or the front of the residence. The housing or maintenance of any of these types of animals shall be done in such a manner as to minimize the visual and noise impact upon the neighboring properties or residences.
4. The chicken coop and run shall be located at least 10 feet from the property line and at least 25 feet from the neighboring dwelling.
5. The coop and run shall be kept in a clean, dry and sanitary condition at all times. Manure, uneaten and discarded feed, feathers and other waste must be removed regularly and at a minimum of once a week.
A. Nuisances: Shall include the creation of noxious or offensive odors, damaging property other than that of the owner and emitting loud noises excessively for an extended and uninterrupted period.
B. Manure must be stored and disposed of. Manure may be composted. All manure not composted must be removed from property regularly and at a minimum of once per week BUT NOT IN HOUSEHOLD TRASH.
6. The chickens shall be shut into the chicken coop at night, from sunset to sunrise.
7. Stored feed must be kept in a rodent and predator proof container.
8. The coop license shall cost $25.00 annually. This license shall renew automatically if the licensee is in compliance with all standards set forth in this ordinance.
9. Only one chicken coop license will be per property owner.
10. If the licensee is found to be in violation of these standards three or more times, the license will be immediately and permanently revoked.
11. Hen coops and runs not maintained according to this ordinance shall be deemed a public nuisance.
12. The provisions of this ordinance shall take precedence and be interpreted as superseding any other ordinance or statute in conflict with the provisions of this ordinance.
PASSED by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Kansas, Edgar County, Illinois, and approved by the President of said Village this 19th day of February, 2014.